Re: How log oops ?

Mr. James W. Laferriere Network Engineer (babydr@nwrain.net)
Sat, 31 May 1997 02:48:47 -0700 (PDT)

PS: Also if you have recently (maybe even ever) made a
kernel 'make zdisk' & still have that disk lying about
you can use that to boot the system & get into the
/var/adm/syslog file that way. I still recommend booting
the recovery/repair disk & e2fsck'ng the partitions though.

On Sat, 31 May 1997, Mr. James W. Laferriere Network Engineer wrote:

> Hello Peter, Didn't get your last message in very readable
> format, I don't read my mail HTML'ified. I'm ASCII only...
>
> OK, So the kernel stop before you can get to a login prompt
> try using a boot floppy & recovery disk, boot these then
> e2fsck your partitions & then mount the partition with
> /var/adm on it . I beleive that you can cp off the syslog
> file to a (preferably dos formatted) floppy & may be able to
> get to it that way . YMMV IE: I'm not very sure of success.

> On Sat, 31 May 1997, Mr. James W. Laferriere Network Engineer wrote:
> > Hello Peter, Try dmeag > filename
> > then vi filename to get rid of everything but the Oops.
> >
> > On Sat, 31 May 1997, Peter Enderborg wrote:
> > > I have problems to log kernel Oops. I got them on the text console.
> > > But ksymoops should have them from a file. What file , and how
> > > should I get the logs there ? Im using syslogd version 1.3-0
> > > and klogd version 1.3-0. (Slackware 96). In my /etc/syslog.conf
> > > i have an entry like
> > > *.* /usr/adm/all.log
> > > And still no oops in that log. (Or any other log)
> > > Is there any FAQ about oops ? It must be some magic to log
> > > filesystems oops in the oops log !?

Hth, JimL
| James W. Laferriere - Network Engineer - babydr@nwrain.net |
| System Techniques - 25416 - 22nd S. - Kent, WA 98032 |
| Give me VMS -or- Give me Linux -but- only on AXP |
|-> Linux-Vax Port, Still in Progress . IE: No Progress To Report ;-) <-|