Re: Watch for new versions.

Edward S. Marshall (emarshal@common.net)
Sat, 31 May 1997 16:19:28 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 30 May 1997, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> It checks ftp.kernel.org at 1 hour intervals from its "random" startup
> time (so ftp.kernel.org doesn't get pranged on the hour).

I'm doing this right now with a simple sh script, ftp, and cron. However,
do you think its wise to encourage the linux community at large to pummel
ftp.kernel.org once an hour? Think of it this way: say a few hundred
people decide to do this. That's a few hundred extra
connect-read-disconnect sessions every hour.

Do you _really_ need your kernel update notice that badly, that fast?

For the sake of the site you're beating, please consider tuning it back to
once or twice a day by default.

--
| Edward S. Marshall <emarshal@common.net> | CII Technical Administrator,     |