Re: Preliminary tests indicate:

Joel N. Squire (squire@frodo.colorado.edu)
02 Jun 1997 21:50:36 -0600

Aaron Tiensivu <tiensivu@pilot.msu.edu> writes:

> AMD K6's like GCC's "-fforce-addr -fforce-mem" options, it seems.
> My thruput with hdparm went up a bit and other things seem
> pretty spunky.
>
> Give it a whirl and see what it does for you. :)

Interesting...

Since I was playing around with this already, I tried these options
with the Byte benchmark suite. Results for a K6-200 :

before-> after

Integer 3.451 -> 3.493
FP 1.747 -> 1.722

The full results are avaliable if you want them. Summary -- Most of
the integer results went up ~ 2 - 8 %, with Numeric Sorting dropping
by 10%. For floating point, LU Decomp went up 6%, Neural Net went down
13%, and Fourier was essentially unchanged.

According to the GCC man pages, -fforce-mem is turned on by -O2, and
benching seems to bear this out.

--

Joel Squire <squire@colorado.edu> CCAR Systems Administrator Ph (303) 492-1308 FAX (303) 492-2825 University of Colorado, Boulder