Re: kernel > 2.1.36 & nfs

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Tue, 3 Jun 1997 16:50:55 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 3 Jun 1997, David S. Miller wrote:

> The VM tricks _are_ necessary for allowing the non-touching movement
> of those pages to/from userspace and the controller (or the page cache
> and the controller).

Note that this is a different VM trick from the one that uses _kernel_
virtual memory to actually make the packet look contiguous in kernel
memory even though we only allocate one page at a time.

Alan was advocating something that approaches "vmalloc()" (not quite, but
it had some of the same properties), and that I'm dead set against.

Linus