Re: pseudo-tty permissions problems (proposal)

Greg Alexander (galexand@sietch.bloomington.in.us)
Wed, 4 Jun 1997 22:53:57 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 4 Jun 1997, Alan Cox wrote:

> Have you considered adding a ptypair() syscall that works like socketpair but
> opens ptys directly via the device interface not via the fs ?

I considered something similar but I didn't know there was a precident of
putting stuff like that in the kernel (I'm comparatively knew to Unix and
I'm not used to using the neato Unix-specific functions especially relating
to Unix domain sockets) so I didn't consider it at that level.
The disadvantage of this is that some programs expect to be able to
open a /dev/tty* device to talk to the tty. I suppose that'd work nicely.
I may implement that soon. Thank you for the idea!

Greg Alexander
http://www.cia-g.com/~sietch/
----
"I read about monkeys in the encyclopedia as soon as I got home from the
funeral and I wonder if this one throws turds and masturbates all the time
like those monkeys saw it the zoo in San Francisco or if witness monkeys are
more like people."
-- a character in Orson Scott Card and Kathryn H. Kidd's novel,
Lovelock.