Re: Very slow listing of ipfwadm

Matthew Kirkwood (weejock@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Fri, 6 Jun 1997 17:58:58 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 6 Jun 1997, Lauri Tischler wrote:

> I rebooted my routerbox and now if I try to list the firewall rules
> it is really slow. masquerading doesnt seem to work either :(
> It takes minutes to list of about 20 rules to the console.
> Something rotten with /proc ??
> If I do cat /proc/net/ip_input it lists the thing ok.

Nothing to do with /proc. What's happening is that ipfwadm is trying
to reverse DNS lookup all of the entries in your firewall table, and
this takes quite some time. If you use "ipfwadm -I -l -n", it won't
bother looking them up, and just give you numbers.

Cheers,
Matthew.

PS. Bcc'ed to kernel list so that we don't get dozens of replies.

--
Matthew Kirkwood  |  Mail:  weejock@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk
LMH JCR,          |  Web:   http://www-jcr.lmh.ox.ac.uk/~weejock/