Re: [offtopic] undeletable file on corrupted ext2 partion

Stephen Beynon (stephen@askone.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 6 Jun 1997 09:08:19 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 6 Jun 1997, Mark Harvey wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Jun 1997, Stephen Beynon wrote:
>

> > I have a ext2 partion that corrupted due to a hardware fault (since
> > rectified :) - but I am left with a file that has been corrupted so that
> > it looks like a symbolic link.
> >
> > rm returns
> > rm: /bin/red: Operation not permitted
> >
> > when I try to rm the file as root - should this be possible ?
> >
> > e2fsck 1.10 claimed to have repaired the filesystem, and does not report
> > any errors when I force it to run now.
> >
> > I am guessing that this is more of a problem with e2fsck rather than the
> > kernel drivers so sorry for the off topic post.
> >
> > now where did I leave the filesystem editor :(
> >
> > Stephen
>
> Same sort of problem here however I used the filesystem editor to "delete"
> the said file. fsck'ed the system. Now I have another file on the system
> with the same problem.
> I left it alone at that point.
> I was not sure where to post this problem however since the issue has been
> raised.....

Several people have suggested in private email that the problem may have
been caused by the immutable flag being set on the file, unfortuntatly
since the file had been corrupted into a symbolic link chattr and lsattr
tried to follow the bogus link ! :(

I have deleted the file with debugfs, and dont seem to be having any
problems now.

I suspect that this was more an ext2 tools issue than a kernel issue -
sorry for posting to the wrong list !

Thanks to everyone who offered advice.

Stephen