Re: buffers vs. pages vs. kernel speed

David S. Miller (davem@jenolan.rutgers.edu)
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 04:46:11 -0400

From: smurf@work.smurf.noris.de (Matthias Urlichs)
Date: 11 Jun 1997 09:36:00 +0200

What this patch does is to try all methods of freeing memory in turn,
instead of trying one until it fails. swap_mmap() is too aggressive freeing
buffers since the average buffer is not touched often enough...

davem: This, or something like it, definitely needs to be in 2.0.31, at
least until the real reason why try_to_free_buffer() is so aggressive is
found.

Funny, that seems to be the intention of the code, but it was not
coded that way perfectly ;-) It seems to not make a lot of sense to
repeatedly beat on one resource as long as one can, until you cannot
anymore, before trying the next thing.

But, firstly I want to get a new revision of my buffer cache and low
memory fixes for 2.0.x out to people for testing, I will do that when
I next wake up in the evening EST time.

Your fixes look basically fine to me, unless someone else can see some
error in it... (if this is the case, that person should speak up soon)

8-)

Yow! 11.26 MB/s remote host TCP bandwidth & ////
199 usec remote TCP latency over 100Mb/s ////
ethernet. Beat that! ////
David S. Miller, davem@caip.rutgers.edu /_____________/ / // /_/ ><