Re: "obsolete" hardware

Michael Neuffer (neuffer@goofy.zdv.Uni-Mainz.de)
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 00:35:24 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 11 Jun 1997, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> Drivers for SCSI devices are agreed by most to be in a tangled mess that
> needs attention, but I would argue that a kernel that will perform
> "reasonable tasks" has a higher priority.

There is currently a lot of work going on to properly redesign
the IO subsystem of Linux, the midlevel SCSI code already has
been pretty much completely rewritten and we've put a lot of effort
into making sure that we are getting rid of the limitations and design
errors of the current generation of SCSI code in Linux.

I am working with Eric to get rid of the remaining "misfeatures"
in the current development code that keep us from supporting
the next generations of parallel, SAA and FC-AL SCSI controllers.

Mike