Re: Another crash with 2.1.42 + mmap patches

Benjamin C R LaHaise (blah@dot.superaje.com)
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 05:19:57 +0000 ( )

On Wed, 11 Jun 1997 gt1355b@prism.gatech.edu wrote:

> On 10 Jun, Mark Hemment wrote:
> > Yeek! try_to_free_page() is being called during an interrupt!
>
> Yep. Not a Good Thing!

Nope, and a silly mistake, too.

> > Perhaps someone with a tree who can apply the mmap-diff, can make a
> > patch for this change (and check my suggested mod). Hopefully the orignal
> > author will pick this up....
>
> I've made the change you suggested (can provide unified diffs if
> there's any desire). It crashed during my quicky stress test (ftp
> Xemacs-20 while simultaneously untarring and rm'ing four 2.1.x kernel
> trees) without any errors, but has otherwise been stable so far (~12
> hours).

;) Being the original author, yep that was close to the change I made
(see ftp://dot.superaje.com/pub/linux/blah-mm-2.1.42-2.diff for the
typo-thinko fixed version). That plus the smp-on-uni patch by Berhard
Kaindl has resulted in a >7 day uptime, helped by the fact that I'm no
longer using NFS -- on the other machine that's nfs mounting most things
I can lock it by running X. I still haven't been able to track it down
(very hard lock -- interrupts disabled, no output, spinning somewhere).
An NMI would be very useful...

-benjamin