Re: Question about bdflush.

Sat, 14 Jun 1997 22:19:48 +0100 (BST)

On Sat, 14 Jun 1997, Andi Gutmans wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am running Linux on a Sparcstation 1. bdflush (actually update) takes a
> LOT of cpu time even when the computer is completely idle. If noone is on
> the system for hours the load is like 0.5.
> If I just stopusing these two daemons, will I have any problems? is it ok
> to do this?

Nonono, bad idea. They are part of the buffer handling (there job is now
partially handled by kswapd). For more info see bdflush(8).

> Oh and a bug report. I'm using redhat-4.2 and in top all the % added
> together are > 100% (and it's a single cpu)

You see, Linux really is better ;). Seriously, is it more than a few
percent (ie rounding errors) ? If you think that it's a real bug, and not
just noise look in /usr/doc/procps-1.01-11/bugs (that's where I have it
anyway ;).

Anyway, it dosn't really belong on this list (it's only for kernel

> Thanks,
>
> Andi

Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :( and I don't care ;)      |            initiated.