Re: Kernel-Messages translation

Mark H. Wood (mwood@mhw.OIT.IUPUI.EDU)
Thu, 19 Jun 1997 13:10:05 -0500 (EST)

On 17 Jun 1997, Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:

> hpa@transmeta.com (H. Peter Anvin) writes:
>
> >One thing: does anyone realize what this is going to mean for bug
> >reports? I can guarantee that if I receive log messages that I can't
> >read, I'll hit the delete key so quickly you wouldn't even notice.
>
> Oh yes, let's go for the IBM approach:
>
> SYS-H-1002 <localized message for "system fscked up">

Or the VMS approach:

%SYSTEM-F-NOSWAP, <"you are out of swap space" in the lingo of your choice>

which is somewhat intelligible to English-speakers no matter what the
text language is, so you get two chances to comprehend it. NOSWAP is
easy to index, too.

Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer MWOOD@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU
Those who will not learn from history are doomed to reimplement it.