Re: Kernel-Messages translation

Keith Rohrer (kwrohrer@uiuc.edu)
Thu, 19 Jun 1997 10:45:34 -0500 (CDT)

> >At 01:45 AM 6/19/97 -0400, you wrote:
> >Alternatively you can just define what language you want, say like
> >-DENGLISH, and at bootup it would check for the define ENGLISH, and if it
> >found it, english.h would be included. The message would be
> >printk(CORRUPT_FS);, and in english.h or whatever CORRUPT_FS would be 'The
> >Filesystem is corrupted', which is a complete pain in the butt.. learn
> >english :)
>
> And then you end up with yet another large file that every single target in
> the kernel tree depends upon. So if you get a patch that changes one
> printk, you have to recompile the whole kernel. No thanks.
This conclusion is incorrect, I'd hope. I'd think the message #defines
would be split at least by subsystem, so you'd only have to recompile
the files in the subsystem when you add or rename a symbolic constant.
With my string table idea (which was, literally, just that: a group of
string tables) you'd only have to recompile something besides the
string tables if you added/changed a message number constant, and
that recompile would still be limited to the subsystem...

Keith