Re: rescan scsi

Peter Svensson (petersv@df.lth.se)
Fri, 20 Jun 1997 18:50:42 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 20 Jun 1997, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> Yikes! I was not aware that this was in the kernel. I sure hope there
> is a disclaimer associated with this when one of the SCSI device bits is
> pulling and another is pushing. You really should not disconnect or
> connect a SCSI device when it is power up!

Actually, what you shouldn't do is connect a powered-up device to the bus
(it may be trying to drive the bus at that particular moment). Inserting a
dead device could insert some noise on the lines, so the bus should
preferably be quiet. On sparc:s this is easily accomplished by breaking
into the prom while you connect the device. If it is an external device,
you have the termination which probably needs to be moved. If, on the
other hand, the device is connected to a pass-through connector, there
really shouldn't be any problems.

Peter