Linux on 6200T (ProStar / AJP / Kapok ) MMX boot problem !!

Pilgrim, Peter (peter.pilgrim@it.newsint.co.uk)
Sat, 21 Jun 1997 16:00:45 +0100

I found some one in the UK who has also AJP 6200T (Pentium 200MHz with
MMX)

>----------
>From: Mike Coombs[SMTP:MCOOMBS@mpc-data.co.uk]
>
>Yes,
>
>My machine says:
> System Processer: 200 MHx Intel Pentium P55C __with__ __MMX__
>
>I don't have access to the other m/c (the one which does boot Linux)
>at present, but I know that it does not say "with MMX"
>
>> What version of Red Hat Linux boots successfully (important on 6200T) ?
>
>The version of Red Hat that boots is the one from a recent edition of
>PCW. We have that bootable Linux on a spare 6200T hard drive and it
>works in the other m/c but not this one.

Thast would be Red Hat Linux 4.1 if you didn't know it.
PCW == Personal Computer World , a british computer magazine.

>> ...not be Red Hat Linux 4.2 would it ?
>
>Yes, I downloaded the floppy disk boot images only, and they failed
>on this m/c in exactly the same way, but booted OK on the non-MMX m/c.
>

>Mike Coombs

so it appears to be a problem with MMX machines. I am assuming this
machine is
the AJP 6200 with a __non__ MMX 200 Mhz pentium processer.

Does any one know why a pentium with MHz with fail to a linux boot image
such as `boot.img' in the RH Linux. Note this problem also happens with
Slackware, and Drop In Linux from my Infomagic LDR Dec 1996 CD ROM.

I would be interested if other (U.S.) users with the Prostar 6200 series
have similar
boot problems.

See `http://www.netset.com/~greg/6200-review.html'