Re: rescan scsi

Harald Milz (hm@seneca.muc.de)
Sat, 21 Jun 1997 21:40:00 +0200

Leonard N. Zubkoff (lnz@dandelion.com) wrote:
> * However perhaps it is legal to switch on an
> * already connected device. It is perhaps not
> * guaranteed this device doesn't corrupt an ongoing data transfer.

The point is you don't want to do this on a SCSI bus which is not
quiescent (this is a problem especially on the bus which has the internal
disks connected). If it is, and the peripheral is switched off during
connect/disconnect, not much can happen. My old AIX box had a second SCSI
adapter which only connected to the peripherals, and I never fried
anything. And I plugged a lot.

--
New crypt.  See /usr/news/crypt.