Re: Modprobe zombies

Gerd Knorr (kraxel@cs.tu-berlin.de)
Mon, 23 Jun 1997 08:23:40 +0200

In article <199706222358.QAA05338@ann.qtpi.lakewood.ca.us>, you wrote:
>I have numerous modprobe zombies hanging around for three days now. Has
>someone else seen this? I would think that init would reap these. It does
>on other zombies. Why not modprobe? I'm running Red Hat 4.2 with their
>patched 2.0.30 kernel.

Guess this is a bug in kerneld (assuming you use kerneld for loading
modules). init will reap the zombies only of they have no parent process,
but your modprobe zombies probably have kerneld as parent (you can check
this with 'ps -l', PPID is the parent process id).

Killing and restarting kerneld should remove the zombies.

Gerd

--
Gerd Knorr <kraxel@cs.tu-berlin.de> |  Where these funny chars come from ???
http://www.cs.tu-berlin.de/~kraxel/ |  [ ... ] Aha, the debug code is broken!