Re: User app corrupting buffer cache.

whawes@star.net
Fri, 27 Jun 97 21:28:36 -0600

--simple boundary

Mark Salter wrote:

> I am running into a strange problem where a user-level program
> is causing the buffer cache to be corrupted.

> Any comments or suggestions on how to track down this problem?

Sounds like an interesting bug :-)

A couple of suggestions:
(1) try using strace and see whether any system calls look funny
(strange arguments, unexpected failures.)

(2) Since you say the ps_app itself gets corrupted, set up a background
process to checksum the app every second or so. Then run ps_app under
the debugger and see if you can narrow down when the corruption occurs.

It's possible you're passing bad arguments to a system call and they
aren't being properly checked.

-Bill

--simple boundary--