Re: ide/scsi cd-rom differences, ide ok, errors copying with scsi cd-rom

Richard Waltham (dormouse@farsrobt.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 30 Jun 1997 14:49:04 +0100 (BST)

Hi Gerard,

I think it was a mistake mentioning the additional patches and the oops. The
main problem for me at the moment is the SCSI CD-Rom errors. The oops and
subsequent errors are almost certainly because of that although I suppose if
everything was OK they wouldn't happen either.

Something is broken in the SCSI CD-ROM driver and I should have concentrated
on that.

The same sort of errors happen with a plain 2.0.29 kernel and SCSI CD-Rom
but copying with an IDE CD-Rom drive is perfectly OK.

Gerard Roudier wrote:

> The patch against pre-2.0.30-2 I've sent that tries to fix the memory
> problem, allows 1 recursion involving get_more_buffer_headers() in order
> not to use GFP_ATOMIC allocation. That is a bit dangerous for the kernel
> stacks and obviously I did'nt test it in all cases. The right approach is
> probably to use GFP_ATOMIC allocation for buffer headers at least for
> page IO but being given that:
> - min_free_pages = memory size / 128 = 0.78 % of the whole memory,
> - sizeof(buffer_head) is about 76 bytes for x86 -> 80/1024 = 7.8 % of the
> same memory,
> starting asynchronously page IOs for 10% of the whole memory can eat all
> the reserved pages for buffer headers. The fact that buffers can be
> allocated at ATOMIC priority also did'nt help.
> In my opinion, some changes are to be done in the kernel, in order not to
> do too much asynchronous IO for pages when free memory becomes too low.
> Such changes in the kernel are beyond my skills.
>
> Gerard.

I'm not really sure what all this means - I just happened to be using a
kernel with pre-patch-2.0.31-2 and your patch when I first noticed the
errors while copying CD's.

I had been checking some other operations and just decided to try a copy
to see what happened.

The messages are basically the same with 2.0.29 - and are from ../fs/isofs/inode.c

Structures used by inode.c seem to be set up incorrectly by the SCSI CD-Rom
driver and is why the errors appear NOT because the CD is defective - isofs is
lying - sorry, no it's not, it's being given incorrect information.

--
 Richard Waltham   |               Work: richard@digtalinterface.demon.co.uk
   At home in      |               Home:       dormouse@farsrobt.demon.co.uk