Re: Page cache patch - less aggressive

Hubert Mantel (mantel@suse.de)
Tue, 1 Jul 1997 18:07:52 +0200 (MEST)

Hi,

On Tue, 1 Jul 1997, David S. Miller wrote:

> Ummm, I have no idea why the old buffer cache code is being
> reintroduced in these patch sets. Linus has already made
> it perfectly clear that first priority is to get things working
> without reverting back to the old code, and that only if it
> is found to be impossible to make things work with the new
> code would reverting be even considered at all.

The old code is very well tested. It might be necessary to do massive
changes to the kernel in order to solve the problems with the new buffer
code. It might take quite a long time to test things out and get it
reliable.
There are other issues as well: pre-2.0.31-2 contains a new memory check
code that breaks loadlin.
I think it is not a good idea to have two development kernel series.
But this decision is up to you and Linus ;-)

Hubert mantel@suse.de

---
RC5 contest: Show the .gov who has *the* (CPU) power!