Re: > 1GB RAM on x86 ?

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
3 Jul 1997 19:03:18 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.199707031641.SAA16473@sunsite.ms.mff.cuni.cz>,
Jakub Jelinek <jj@sunsite.ms.mff.cuni.cz> wrote:
>> We're testing some x86 systems with more than 1GB of RAM. Linux on
>> x86 seems to be limited to 1GB of physical memory. [...]

>If you need that much memory, I think it is not non-sense to spend much less
>money than you give for memory chips in upgrading to a real CPU (64bit) also.

1) The Intel 386 family are real CPUs.
2) it's not worth it to toss binary compatability out the window
just because you can load more memory onto the machine. I,
for one, have already evaluated and rejected a Linux/alpha
box because it would mean I would have to maintain multiple
binary trees to service all the machines on my network.

____
david parsons \bi/ The kernel should probably toss the flat address
\/ space and go to segments, but that would be a
recoding task nobody would like.