Re: Device driver to access PCI configuration space.

Marcin Dalecki (dalecki@sub994.sub.uni-goettingen.de)
Fri, 4 Jul 1997 07:28:10 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 3 Jul 1997, Martin Mares wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Here is a device driver to access PCI configuration space.
> >
> > I am having trouble with a video chip not getting enough bandwidth to
> > dump a video frame into memory. The intel documentation about my
> > chipset talks about an "MTT" register, and I wanted to know what it
> > was set at, and see if changing it would help.
> >
> > Linus: I would like this to go into the mainstream kernel. Changes
> > seem localized enough. I think I followed the Linux coding style close
> > enough. If not, tell me.
>
> I propose another solution: extend the proc filesystem and introduce a
> /proc/pci tree containing subdirectories bus_number/device_number with
> several special files for config space access, device memory access etc.
> This would be much cleaner and more flexible.

Anybody proposing any more unseless kernel space PCI stuff then what's
already in the kernel: Plase take a look at the scanpci programm in the
XFree-3.2 or above distributions. (So Linus: please don't!)

Marcin