Re: Patches agains boring^H^H^H^H^H^H 2.0 kernel versions..

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Wed, 9 Jul 1997 08:30:19 +0200 (MET DST)

linux kernel account wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Gadi Oxman wrote:
>
> > The driver is released as a kernel patch against Linux 2.0.30.
> > raidtools-0.3 can be used to create and repair a RAID-1/4/5 set.
>
> I've noticed that most intresting new development is done on 2.0 kernels.
> I assume that this is because developers would like to have a stable base
> for sanity reasons and because they are released less often.. (Hard to hit

I did the same a few months ago: I wrote a device driver for 2.0.x.
Why? I got 2.1.xx, compiled it, booted, crashed, and went back to
2.0.x. On my system 2.1.x was not stable. Then when the system with
the new driver crashes, you don't know who's to blame.

I did get the thing to compile under 2.1. This resulted in a "half an
hour" port to 2.1. You might have to change a few things, but a port
from 2.0 to 2.1 is really not all that hard.

Regards,

Roger Wolff.