Re: Two Video Adapters - disable one?

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@work.smurf.noris.de)
10 Jul 1997 17:51:43 +0200

Tethys <tethys@ml.com> writes:

> My two cgsix adapters seem to work fine under Linux/Sparc :-) On the
> PC, I've always been led to believe that the hardware couldn't support
> multiple VGA cards. You can have a VGA and an MDA card, though. Recently,
> some manufacturers have been making cards that allow you to use more
> than one simultaneously. The Matrox Millenium springs to mind (we have

The problem is that all these cards insist on using their VGA-compatible
I/O addresses when booting, with no way to turn the nonsense off, even
though most chipsets allegedly support that. :-(

> 2 or 3 in our PCs at work). I don't think you can mix and match with
> other cards, though.

That depends on their VGA BIOS. If it finds the 'other' card (it better be
in another PCI slot) and disables its own VGA register set correctly, it
should work. That's a big "if", obviously.

--
Babies do it in their pants.