Re: Memory being incorrected sized at boot-up

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 13:10:31 +0200 (MET DST)

Kim Enkovaara wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Nicholas J. Leon wrote:
>
> > I recently popped a copy of Linux (2.0.30) on my Compaq Deskpro 2000 at
> > work and was amazed to see that it incorrectly reported the amount of RAM.
> > The box contains 32MB, but the kernel only sees 16MB.
> >
> > Yes, I know, lilo append="mem=32M".
>
> I noticed this also with Deskpro 2000 and mailed to Compaq Support. I told
> them that I run Unix system with the computer and they answered to load
> dos program do correct the reporting in dos :) It's a bug in their bios I
> guess, because that dos program fills some values to system memory table.

Guys, Recent 2.1 kernels and 2.0.pre-31-2 have a new memory detection
scheme. You are hereby requested to upgrade to one of those versions,
and report if that works......

Roger.