Re: NFS file locking

Olaf Kirch (okir@monad.swb.de)
Sat, 12 Jul 1997 00:41:24 +0200

On Fri, 11 Jul 1997 15:51:48 BST, David Woodhouse wrote:
> What is the current state of file locking over NFS?
>
> Under kernel 2.1.43, it gets -EOLCK when trying to set a lock and
> lockd: failed to monitor 47.131.130.114
> appears on the console.

Yes, newer kernels indeed try to support lockd/statd. In order to use
it, you also need my linux-nfs-*.tar.gz stuff, which includes Jeff
Uphoff's rpc.statd. You can get the file from ftp.mathematik.th-darmstadt.de
in /pub/linux/okir.

Note to glibc2 users: a new version of the user-land nfs stuff is in the
works which will hopefully also compile with glibc.

> Winword and similar programs all refuse to open files on NFS filesystems unde
> r 2.1.43, complaining that SHARE.EXE isn't loaded! Is there a solution other
> than copying everything to a local drive or using an older kernel?

Using the mount binary from above-mentioned distribution, you can also
turn off NFS locks again by using -o nolock.

I'd be interested to hear both success and failure stories wrt to NFS
file locking. The current implementation is barely tested against
implementations other than my own.

Cheers
Olaf

--
Olaf Kirch         |  --- o --- Nous sommes du soleil we love when we play
okir@monad.swb.de  |    / | \   sol.dhoop.naytheet.ah kin.ir.samse.qurax