Re: Linux on AMD K6

Karl D. Nelson (nelsonm@sunrise.byu.edu)
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 12:53:02 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Jeffrey Wiegley wrote:

> I too am looking to purchase a K6 CPU instead of an Intel Pentium. I
> don't know the answer to my next question so I apologize for not being
> able to answer the original question due to a lack of general knowledge
> on the subject.
>
> My questions would be:
>
> Currently how well does either the 2.0 or 2.1 kernels support the AMD
> K6?
> What special patches exist to increase K6 compatibilty/performance?
> Are there any gcc/g++ compiler options that should be used to increase
> performance for a K6?
> Any other things that new K6 users should be aware of?
>
> - Jeff
>
> guess wrote:
> >
> > I am considering buying K6 processer instead of Pentium machine for an
> > internet server wich will be running Linux/ http Server (Don't know
> > wich
> > one yet, probably Appache)
> >
> > I'd like to know public oppinion on this. Also some comparison on how
> > it
> > works on Pentium, Pentium Pro, Pentium II, and K6

This thread has rapidly deteriorated into a comparison of web servers, but
let's return to the question at hand: how does the K6 perform? These are
the questions that I would like answers to before I would be willing to go
with the AMD:

- Does the AMD K6 have subtle x86 compatibility problems such as have been
discussed on this list before with the Cyrix chips?

- AMD compares the K6 to the PPro but the chip sits in a P5 socket. Does
this limit its truly functioning as a PPro clone?

- The K6 has a larger cache than the PPro (according to AMD) but it's
accessed at 66 MHz rather than at the chip clock speed as with PPro. How
much of a hit is this?

Once these questions are satisfied, those asked by Jeff above become
important.

If anyone can address any of these questions, it would be much
appreciated.

Thanks,
Karl.