Re: Huge uptimes & cosmic rays

Edward Welbon (welbon@bga.com)
Sun, 13 Jul 1997 02:17:35 -0500 (CDT)

On 11 Jul 1997, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Ask for ECC, not parity. Also, count the chips -- it should be a
> multiple of 3, 9, or 12; *NOT* a power of 2.

There are SIMMS that implement ECC the hard way - with ECC hardware on
SIMM (amazing but true). You of course don't want those, what you want is
true parity (one extra memory bit per byte of data). The chip count
method should work in virtually all cases. I have always gotten the
"right" stuff from www.thechipmerchant.com (*usually* though not always on
the first shipment). Natoma and Orion (82450 and 82440) boards should all
implement ECC (at least those chipsets support ECC and the SuperMicro
boards that use these chips make the support available).

Ed Welbon; welbon@bga.com;
ln -s /dev/null cookies
www.cyberessentials.com and www.regulus.net are spam factories...