Re: pre-patch2.1.45-3 lookin' good

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@work.smurf.noris.de)
15 Jul 1997 00:13:58 +0200

Hi,
kraxel@cs.tu-berlin.de writes:
> >And: real file names in /proc/*/fd/*. Wow. Is there any other Unix that
> >comes even close to being able to do this?
>
> You can't (at least not allways):

I know (and it's spelled 'always' if you want to be picky ;-).

Well, if the thing doesn't have any other name, we could always make the
actual file appear there. We could even make the file reappear by linking
it back into its file system. Now _that_ would be cool. Unfortunately, it
might also be a security risk. :-(

> fd = open(filename)
> unlink(filename);

So now we have every combination of files with or without names that do or
do not exist. (For an example of a file which don't exist but has a name:
the pipe things in / which appeared in recent 2.1.4whatever.)

What's next? Schroedinger's files (may or may not exist)? ;-)

Well, if others can play around with Penguin Patches...

--
Good day for business affairs.
Make a pass at that the new file clerk.