Re: What to do on ctrl-alt-del?

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Wed, 16 Jul 1997 08:58:25 +0200 (MET DST)

Gerd Knorr wrote:

> >Of _course_ there is a process with PID 1. It's just a simple shell script
> >(or whatever) though, not a full-blown init.
>
> My linuxrc has PID 8, not 1. A 'ps -ax' looks like this:
>
> 1 ... (swapper)
> 2 ... (kflushd)
> 3 ... (kswapd)
> 4-7 ... (nfsiod)
> 8 ... /bin/sh note: last line in linuxrc is 'exec /bin/sh'
> 1x ... ps -ax
>
> So even if you tell the kernel he should send a signal to process 1, you
> can't catch this signal...

Bug report:

Under some circumstances, "init" doesn't get PID 1. Gerd just reported
something that has to do with "linuxrc", while I have noted the case where
you say "init=<something else>" on the Lilo command line.

When you use "/bin/sh" as "something else" it's not that bad, but when
you try to execute a shell script that does some things before
starting the real init, it turns out that "init" checks for its own
PID and it behaves differently when that's not "one".

Roger.