Re: Linux on AMD K6 (fwd from linux-kernel)

Brian L. Juergensmeyer (brianj@kansas.net)
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 06:28:03 +0600

Aaron Tiensivu wrote:

> > > I'd like to know public oppinion on this. Also some comparison on how
> > > works on Pentium, Pentium Pro, Pentium II, and K6
> > I recently installed the new RedHat on my new K6 machine and it seems to
> > work fine. I have only played with it for a couple of hours though.
> > I'll give a better update when I know more.
>
> Missed the original version of this, but Redhat 4.2 loves the K6, and
> so do I. :)
>
> My comparision of going from a P166 to a K6 was "Wow!"

I can second that motion: I did a timed recompile of 2.1.34 on my
system prior to swapping a P133 for a K6-PR2-200 and then did a make
clean and remade the exact same kernel afterwards. The verdict: the
P133 took 24 minutes to make the kernel and the K6 took 12 minutes.

You make the call, :)

Bri

PS: No oopses, problems, incompatibilities, or other problems have been
noted with Linux with the K6. There was one I noted with the K6 and
OS/2, but it was minor. If interested in the details, e-mail me.