Re: Take a deep breath...

Raul Miller (rdm@test.legislate.com)
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 09:56:45 -0401

Theodore Y. Ts'o <tytso@MIT.EDU> wrote:
[one of the best descriptions of code analysis I've ever seen]

A couple minor questions:

> practiced this skill was disasembling Microsoft Basic on my CP/M
> machine. Sure, I had a disassembler which gave me the 8080
> instructions, and marked out functions; but then I had to figure out
> what functions did, and once I figured out low-level functions, I would
> name them and try to figure out higher-level functions; other times

Any tips on how to do something close to this kind of thing on x86,
with Linux?

> When you're figuring out an interface, it's natural to jump around
> between many different files, using grep and emacs's search function to
> quickly locate relevant pieces of code. In fact, during the initial

A perverse fascination (and a long-term desire for speed) leaves me
wondering how non-emacs users manage large scale browsing.

--
Raul Miller