2.1.45 reboots on encountering circular links (fwd)

Jitse Niesen (jitse@wit379007.student.utwente.nl)
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 19:41:47 +0200 (CEST)

so I'm resending it.

Jitse Niesen

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 18:12:14 +0200 (CEST)
From: Jitse Niesen <jitse@wit379007.student.utwente.nl>
Subject: 2.1.45 reboots on encountering circular links

Hello,

When I make a circular link with 'ln -s foo foo' everything goes fine.
However, if I try to ls the directory, the kernel reboots.
No oops'es, nothing. I tried this on a ext2fs partition.

My kernel is 2.1.45 with fix to make sysrq.c compile and no other
patches. My config is:

CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y
CONFIG_MODULES=y
CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y
CONFIG_KERNELD=y
CONFIG_NET=y
CONFIG_SYSVIPC=y
CONFIG_SYSCTL=y
CONFIG_BINFMT_AOUT=m
CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF=y
CONFIG_BINFMT_MISC=m
CONFIG_M486=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
CONFIG_INET=y
CONFIG_SYN_COOKIES=y
CONFIG_PATH_MTU_DISCOVERY=y
CONFIG_IP_NOSR=y
CONFIG_NETDEVICES=y
CONFIG_DUMMY=m
CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET=y
CONFIG_NET_ISA=y
CONFIG_NE2000=m
CONFIG_MINIX_FS=m
CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y
CONFIG_PROC_FS=y
CONFIG_VT=y
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_SERIAL=m
CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ=y

The minix-modules has unresolved symbols:
__mark_inode_dirty
d_move
d_instantiate

Version information:

-- Versions installed: (if some fields are empty or looks
-- unusual then possibly you have very old versions)
Linux wit379007 2.1.45 + Mydraal's sysrq.c patch #68 Thu Jul 17 14:23:21 CEST 1997 i486 unknown
Kernel modules found
Gnu C 2.7.2.2
Binutils 2.8.1
Linux C Library 5.4.33
Dynamic Linker (ld.so) 1.9.2
Linux C++ Library 272.5.0
Procps 1.12
Mount 2.6g
Net-tools (Peter
Kbd 0.94
Sh-utils 1.16

Net-tools as reported by 'netstat --version' is version 1.19

Of course, I'll be glad to give you more information, if needed.

Jitse Niesen