Re: documenting the kernel [and some praise :-)]

Achim Oppelt (aoppelt@theorie3.physik.uni-erlangen.de)
18 Jul 1997 12:18:23 +0200

"Andrew E. Mileski" <aem@netcom.ca> writes:

> If you change the code, you change the docs. A simple rule that [forgive
> me, but its my opinion] only idiots break. It should be enforced too.

If the code has been initially written by me, but not documented (because I
didn't think it was necessary), then someone else comes along and puts in
documentation, then I change the code again, then no, I wouldn't
necessarily feel obliged to change the documentation (I might update it if
I have the time). So maybe I'm an idiot. :-)

In the above paragraph, "I" is a hypothetical kernel developer, not me
personally -- except for the last sentence :-). I haven't contributed any code
to Linux yet, and don't plan to right now. But when I find the time to
implement some extension to XFree86, I will try to document the changes,
but I certainly wouldn't force anyone else to document their code.

Achim

--
Achim Oppelt, Schwedenstr. 25, D-91080 Spardorf, Germany
aoppelt@theorie3.physik.uni-erlangen.de