Re: The i2o Bus: A Conspiracy Against Free Software? (fwd)

Michael Neuffer (neuffer@goofy.zdv.Uni-Mainz.de)
Fri, 18 Jul 1997 23:48:04 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, David A Rusling wrote:
> > This is not kernel related. But, I believe that it could become so if
> > this closed-standard IO technology becomes a standard. Frankly, I'm so
> > disturbed by it that I can't even discuss it. Someone please tell me this
> > is a joke or I'm reading it wrong.
> >

> I don't know about the I2O terms, I'll go and investigate. Don't
> forget that PCI was (originally) as restrictive a standard as this.
> I would hope that I20 code gets written for Linux and that that code
> is freely redistributable.

No, so far nobody was able to get documentation.

I tried and a few others also did and failed. When I talked to the chief
honcho of the I2O SIG, he told me indirectly but still pretty clearly that
Microsoft is keeping the lid tightly closed on this.

The Wintel combination has enormous interests in keeping it that way.

Mike