Re: Kernel cpu selection

Teunis Peters (teunis@usa.net)
Fri, 18 Jul 1997 15:33:41 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, Mike Jagdis wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jul 1997, Aaron Tiensivu wrote:
>
> > Coming up in the kernel, I think the whole chip definition section should
> > be overhauled into some type of sassy multi-selection deal.
>
> This is excessive. You don't need this level of detail and putting
> processor options into config rather than looking at the processor
> type at run time makes portable kernel images tricky. Anyway my
> non-Intel patch does something along these lines.

I think this kind of detail is _GOOD_!
(priorities in terms of importance to _ME_ :)

1. It means the patches for Cyrix can FINALLY be in kernel!
[I use this neeto patch that stablizes my system nicely when I'm running
flaky hardware (50% time), but I need to manually patch it in...]
2. People with 'special needs' (non-intel CPU's :) can have easier time
...Was thinking of compiling linux for 68030 Powerbook but changed mind
when I couldn't figure out how.....
3. And hey, who says intel's won the CPU wars... I mean, AMD could end
up the new CPU leader... or even... DEC???

It'd be NICE to see Alpha series processors as basic home computer <g>.
But how much change to kernel? Not much, really. Just fix the
[Make/Model] selection on CPU..... (I think)
.. specially since DEC is at war with Intel, and DEC is allying with
Cyrix and AMD....

Or at least this would make a nice goal.
And it doesn't affect kernel _SIZE_ any... Just stability in some
situations and portability ['specially with those nice config scripts].

this IS a good idea!

Have a nice day :)
- Teunis