Re: Kernel cpu selection + other platforms?

Teunis Peters (teunis@usa.net)
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 13:22:56 -0600 (MDT)

[... clip clip - why not, I wrote it :]

> Bad bad bad. What if you want to make kernel that runs on 386 and amd
> k6, fixing bugs of both? You probably want checkbox for every bugfix
> in there.

So have a different bugfix area on a per-platform basis. Whatever.
'sides some bugs only activate when specific processor features are
enabled and THOSE bugs should be per-processor.

Also, bugfixes should only be present as 'optional' if they're
intrusive... as in, they are ONLY usable and detectable on that CPU.

FWIW I consider 'math emulation' a CPU bug :)

If we EVER have cross-platform CPU bugs there's something seriously wrong.

Have a nice week :)
- Teunis