Re: pre-p-2.0.31-2: out of virtual memory

Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@pobox.com)
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 18:05:36 -0400

Tim Hollebeek wrote:
> Kurt Huwig writes ...
> > BUT (!) this was running XEmacs, Netscape + Java-Applications altogether,
> > i.e. really using the memory. Iff you have some calculating stuff that
> > mostly uses localized data, you can easily go with 128MB * 8 swap (maximum
> > swap-size is 128MB, but you can use up to 8 partitions).
> Programs (like Netscape) that leak horribly can often survive with
> small fractions (say 8 MB out of a total of 50 MB) in core, since much
> of the memory will never be touched again. If you want to use
> Netscape for a long time without quitting and restarting it, you'll
> need a decent amount of swap space ... :-)

To add another data point, I'm pretty sure the virtual memory wasn't
used up.

This is a news server application, not luser apps like Netscape... :)

--
Jeff Garzik					   Quality news feeds
News Administrator		       INN Technical info, Consulting