Re: Does the K6-PR233ANR work with Linux 2.0.30 and ASUS TX97-XE motherboard?

David Wuertele (dave@wave.gctech.com)
23 Jul 1997 10:11:35 -0700

Jeff Wiegley <wiegley@usc.edu> writes:

> Is there anybody who is using a K6-233 cpu with a TX97-XE motherboard
> and running linux 2.0.30?

That would be me. Well, actually it's just a measly TX97-X.

> If you do: Does it work fine for you?

No problemo at 83 MHz and a 3.5 multiplier. YOW! Ladies and gentelmen, can
you say FORKING FAST!!? Oh, be*HAVE*!

> I'm getting signal 11 errors when trying to compile the kernel on such a
> sytem.
>
> I have 10ns/100MHZ SDRAM memory and everything works fine when I
> substitute and Intel 133 CPU and run it at 75Mhz bus speed with a clock
> multiplier of 2 (150Mhz wheeee!)

I've got two 12ns 64MB SDRAMs and no problems.

> But that does seem to indicate that the motherboard, cache and memory
> are all working fine. When I decrease the bus speed to 66Mhz and put the
> K6-233 in (with proper clock multiplier of 3.5) then I get kernel
> compile errors.

I was having problems overclocking, but I switched the MB for another of the
exact same model, and replaced the two 32MB dimms with 64MB dimms, and suddenly
everything went swimmingly. Note: when I was having the problems with the
earlier MB, 83MHz worked BETTER (it actually booted) than 75MHz.

> A quick yes or no will do.

YES!

Dave