Re: Reserved PID's

Ion Badulescu (ionut@moisil.cs.columbia.edu)
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 18:57:16 -0400 (EDT)

On 25 Jul 1997, Matthias Urlichs wrote:

> If you have problems with inetd spawning too many processes, either patch
> inetd do support counting and limiting the number of active processes per
> socket, or use something like tcpserver which already has this code
> built-in, or change the process in question to be its own daemon and
> implement counting and limiting yourself. The first option actually is the
> most difficult, assuming nobody has done this yet.

The first option might be the easiest, it's already implemented. :) man
inetd for details, the idea is to add a .max parameter to wait/nowait in
the inetd.conf line which will tell inetd how many such processes it is
allowed to spawn within onne minute. The default is 40 I think..

Ionut

--
  It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
            than to open it and remove all doubt.