Re: make config

Kurt Huwig (kurt@huwig.de)
Sun, 27 Jul 1997 03:04:52 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 26 Jul 1997, Rao V. Nagisetty wrote:
> Friends,
> I recently added a cdrom to my PC and my Linux does not recognise it. I
> was told that one has to reconfigure the kernel to include the proper driver
> etc. Also it is said that all you have to do is to go to the directory and
> use the comand 'make config'. When I do that I get the following response:
> rm -f include/asm
> rm: include/asm: is a directory
> make: *** [symlinks] Error 1

include/asm should be a symlink to your machine-dependent asm-dir. I guess
it should be asm-i386.

I think someone has copied your kernel from one place to another without
care for symlinks. Just do a

rm -rf include/asm
or
mv include/asm include/oldasm

if you are scary and then

cd include; ln -s asm-i386 asm; cd ..

If your terminal is configured correctly, a 'make menuconfig' is much more
comfortable.

Kurt

Let me make myself perfectly clear: Step 1: Find plan!
Step 2: Save world!
Let's get crackin'... Step 3: Get outta my house!