Re: PGCC and the kernel

AndroSyn (androsyn@geocities.com)
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 21:44:55 -0400 (EDT)

On 28 Jul 1997, John Twilley wrote:

> I'm using the newest version of PGCC I can find. Here's the version
> string:
>
> gcc driver version 2.7.2p snapshot 970522 executing gcc version 2.7.2p
>
> I'd like to know if there are any tweaks I should make to kernel
> makefiles other than changing '-O2' to '-O6 -frisc'.
>
> Also, the kernel compiles fine except for arch/i386/lib/checksum.c,
> where it fails with this error:
>
> gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wall -Wno-sign-compare
> -Wstrict-prototypes -O5 -frisc -fomit-frame-pointer -D__SMP__ -pipe
> -fno-strength-reduce -mpentium -malign-loops=2 -malign-jumps=2
> -malign-functions=2 -DCPU=586 -D__SMP__ -c -o checksum.o checksum.c
> {standard input}: Assembler messages:
> {standard input}:509: Fatal error: Symbol end_of_body already defined.
>
> It compiles fine with -O2. I'm going to try all the different
> optimizations between -O2 and -O6 just to see what's breaking, and
> report it to the PGCC crew. Has anyone else noticed this?

This problem is due to a bug in -finline-functions which of course is
enabled with -O6. Perhaps the easiest way around this bug is to
toss in -fno-inline-functions. This seems to be the easiest way
to solve the problem. I'm sure their are some other bugs floating
around in pgcc, but its a beta release...so what can ya expect...

Aaron