Re: 2.0.31p2 locks up

Benjamin C R LaHaise (blah@dot.superaje.com)
Wed, 30 Jul 1997 19:18:23 +0000 ( )

Hello!

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, Andre Uratsuka Manoel wrote:
> It seems a part of the networking code is not freeing skbufs. I
> haven't find out what, yet. Andreas Degert offered a patch to track
> kernel memory. As soon as I have that patch I'll inform you on where
> are the problems coming from.

I'm seeing the problem as well, so the question becomes what do our
setups have in common/what activity is triggering this? The machine in
question routes ethernet <-> ipip (MTU=576) <-> ppp (MTU=1500).
Firewalling, masquerading (for some hosts only) and
CONFIG_IP_ALWAYS_DEFRAG (hope that's correct) are in use, only TCP/IP.
There are also aliases on the ethernet interface. How does this compare
to your setup?

> BTW, It seems strange that so few people seemed to have
> experienced that problem. I experienced it MANY times.

It's probably a configuration issue that tickles the bug. i.e. The setup
used on my router encourages heavy use of packet fragmentation as otherwise
sharing a modem link amongst several people is useless.

-ben