Re: PentiumII's.

Mark Orr (markorr@intersurf.com)
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 06:22:13 -0500 (CDT)

On 31-Jul-97 Gabriele Paciucci wrote:
>On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, System Email wrote:
>>
>> Matrox Millennium II 4Meg
>
>Buy not the last but with same $ more RAM --> 8Mb and a beautiful 20"

I'm pretty sure the Matrox Millenium II isnt supported by Xfree86 yet.
The Mill II is sortof a combination of the Mystique and Millenium
(in that it uses WRAM, and has a better RAMDAC...but has the Mystique's
better 3d capabilites).

I dont know if Xinside's got an accelX for the Mill II -- I'd doubt it
so soon after release.

>> 9GB SCSI-3 UltraWide
>
>Buy 2x4.5 SCSI-3 10000rpm this is the most important factor

Oh, yeah, Seagate Cheetahs...gotta have them.

>> ASUS KN97-X MotherBoard w/ sound
>
>Do not take all on board!!!

The (consensus) best single-CPU Pentium II mainboard is the
Megatrend FX83-A. It's been benchmarked as the fastest and supports
overclocking well.

For now, it seems, that the Tyan Tahoe is the only P-II board capable
of SMP. I've heard conflicting reports that there were serious
reliability and compatibility problems with it...may have been cleared
up by now.

>> Pentium II 300mhz w/512k
>
>> Adaptech 2940 SCSI-3 Ultrawide adaptor
>
>Have you think about BusLogic 528 D ?

Nah...DPT SmartRAID IV -- with 3 SCSI-Ultrawide busses :)

>> 128MB ECC DIMM
>
>Of Course

What PPro/P-II MB supports DIMMs? All the new ones are Natoma
chipset which only supports FPM/EDO/BEDO SIMMs...just from the spec
sheets I've seen. There are a couple of P-II chipsets coming out
soon that'll probably support SDRAM's, etc. (GX, LX)

Where the heck does one get BEDO anyway? I cant find the stuff
anywhere.

---
Mark Orr
markorr@intersurf.com