Re: Support for ASUS and 96Megs

Peter Belsanti (pbelsant@algorithmics.com)
Sat, 2 Aug 1997 13:42:11 -0400

Dave Wreski wrote:

> Hi all. I'm looking to purchase an ASUS P/I-P55T2P4 Motherboard for a
> 133Mhz Pentium. It contains the 430HX chipset. I see in the
> documentation that in order to cache above 64megs, it requires an TAG
> SRAM chip.
>
> Does anyone know, first, if Linux will have any problems with this
> board? Also, would it be better to buy the chip, or is it expensive?
> If I don't buy the chip, would it be better to just put 64megs on the
> board, and be done with it? The board was already $150.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave Wreski

I've got this exact board at home, running both 2.0.30 and 2.1.47 with
512K cache ram, 256K on board and 256 on a COAST cache module in the
slot beside the on-board 256K. With the COAST module, you don't have to
have the TAG RAM anymore (I think it's on the module). Linux runs just
fine, and recognizes all the bells and whistles (ps/2 mouse, power
management, etc).

Anyway, make sure you get REV 3.0 or higher!! These later revisions can
overclock the PCI bus to 75 and even 83 MHz. Earlier revisions couldn't
go beyond 66.

Great board, especially if you can drop in an AMD-K6. Canadian street
prices for the K6 have droped below $400 for the 200 MHz, ao
bang-per-buck is great!