Re: The /sbin/update Daemon

Marcus B (mabs@netdig.com.au)
Mon, 4 Aug 1997 11:13:39 +1000 (EST)

On Sun, 3 Aug 1997, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

>Update periodically flushes dirty file-buffers to disk. If it isn't
>running, and your machine works perfectly, you will only notice that
>RAM seems to disappear as more and more buffers are allocated and not
>freed. The dirty file buffers will get flushed to disk when the disks
>are dismounted during a normal shutdown. This presumes that everything
>works perfectly.
>
>BUT.... If your maching ever crashes, depending upon how much file I/O
>you have done, you may be left with an unrepairable file-system because
>of data which was left in RAM during your last crash, that should have
>been written to disk.

That's very interesting, since every 10-20 minutes (even 30) after making
the hard-dirve do lots of work (except compiles?), I virtually lose my
computer for about 2-3 mins due to long continuous hard-drive activity, is
this update?

"When all of your wishes are granted,
many of your dreams will be destroyed",
Man You Fear - Marilyn Manson