Re: The /sbin/update Daemon

Marcus B (mabs@netdig.com.au)
Mon, 4 Aug 1997 13:12:46 +1000 (EST)

On Sun, 3 Aug 1997, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

>On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, Marcus B wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 3 Aug 1997, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
>>
>> >Update periodically flushes dirty file-buffers to disk. If it isn't
>[SNIPPED]
>

>> That's very interesting, since every 10-20 minutes (even 30) after making
>> the hard-dirve do lots of work (except compiles?), I virtually lose my
>> computer for about 2-3 mins due to long continuous hard-drive activity, is
>> this update?
>>
>Nope, not unless your file-system is on a floppy. You just can't have
>enough dirty buffers to keep your disk active for 2-3 minutes. It looks
>like you have a low RAM problem and you are seeing "thrashing" of the
>swap file (partition).
>
>Generally, your swap file size should be one of the following:
>
>(1) At least 64 megabytes.
>(2) Three times your RAM size.
>
> ... which ever is greater.
>
>You should use a swap partition instead of a swap file although files
>work for temporary work-arounds. A seperate swap DISK is usually even
>better.

Well.. my system is a: iP166, 24Mb RAM, 98Mb SWAP partition, 1.2Gb QF
EIDE, FH 1.0Gb SCSI-1 (on adaptec AHA-2940U) & Giga-Byte M/B.

The reason I mentioned it is because it is nearly as if it is reading the
whole directory structure (all mounted drives) as if I had done a 'find
/', I first experienced it in 2.0.29 and it can be unpredictable to
replicate, is it a bug?

"When all of your wishes are granted,
many of your dreams will be destroyed",
Man You Fear - Marilyn Manson