Re: buffer cache patches - anybody willing to summarize?

Jeff Wiegley (wiegley@usc.edu)
Mon, 04 Aug 1997 10:39:44 -0700

I know the SMP stuff is really cool stuff (wish I had a SMP board).

But, since the main purpose of 2.1.X -> 2.2/3.0 is the inclusion of
proper and complete SMP support, I don't think that any SMP patches
should be considered for the 2.0 tree. Only if they fix a gross security
problem would I maybe consider it appropriate. Beyond that my response
would be: SMP in 2.0 is ALPHA code, use at your own risk. If you really
want to be using SMP you should be using one the latest "stable" 2.1
kernels.

Lets keep 2.0 development tight and focused so that we don't inundate
the next "David Miller".

- Jeff