Re: stress testing and loadavg

Michael L. Galbraith (mikeg@weiden.de)
Thu, 7 Aug 1997 17:15:19 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sun, 3 Aug 1997, David S. Miller wrote:

> Here is a fun program, I fire off 50 or 60 of these when stress
> testing sparc64/SMP lately. Run a bunch of these, a 'top d 0' in
> an xterm, and a 'make -j' in another window. That should make
> interesting things happen, especially under SMP.
>
> int main(void)
> {
> int pid;
>
> while(1) {
> switch (pid = fork()) {
> case -1:
> exit(1);
> case 0:
> exit(1);
> default:
> while(wait(0) != pid)
> ;
> };
> }
> return 0;
> }

Would 'interesting things' happen to be..
_setutent: Can't open utmp file: File table overflow
with top segfaulting and (sometimes) the make -j also segfaulting?
The xterm was permanently broken, outputing..
sh: command_substitute: cannot duplicate pipe as fd1: Bad file number
The same thing happened to a shell (make -j) in a normal vt, but after a short
while, it started working again. (I mean _after_ killing all fun_programs)

Test method: (make -j tried both in xterm and vt)
60 x fun_program
1 x top d 0
1 x make -j bzImage
(short time watching to see if it's going to do something interesting.. nope)
runx
1 x top d 0
2 x xboard (it made a wrong move and caught it itself :)
~5 minutes of this, and interesting happened.

-Mike