Re: NFS bug (2.1.42..2.1.48)

Claus-Justus Heine (Heine@physik.rwth-aachen.de)
08 Aug 1997 00:05:13 +0200

Alex Priem <alexp@sci.kun.nl> writes:

> Claus-Justus Heine writes:
>
> >I use 2.1.48 with my private patches to swap via NFS, root FS via NFS,
> >everything else via NFS.
>
> Have you got bootp also working? My 2.1.48 kernel isn't very responsive
> to bootp & rarp requests.

I'm using etherbott-3.<something>. The newest version uses the
netboot-<something> package. I think that the etherboot+netboot
package decodes all bootp parameters and places them in the command
line of the kernel, so I can't really tell whether the KERNEL decodes
the bootp answers right, but: yes, I'm using the client machine with a
bootprom and bootp, and it works quite well. My setup:

8MB VL Bus board, without keyboard, without monitor and graphic card,
without harddisk. There's only a floppy drive which isn't used for
booting, and of course the network card, some ne2k clone, with a
bootprom installed. Ok, just checked it out, I'm using etherboot 3.01,
which in turn uses netboot-0.5.3.

My kernel is a 2.1.48, with hacked support for Miquel's "kmon" kernel
monitor, and the ability to swap via NFS, which made some changes to
the networking code necessary (and the general page allocation levels)

Cheers

Claus